Competitive analysis critical to SEO success
Understanding your competitors — their strategy, their tactics, their level of success, etc. — is crucial to the success of your SEO initiatives. I’m not just talking about your traditional competitors, I’m referring to the other sites occupying spots in the SERPs (search engine results pages) for keywords that you are targeting.
Many free competitive analysis tools are out there, but you have to know where to look for them. One of my favorite SEO blogs (Stuntdubl) offers a veritable Home Depot of such tools, at Mr. Ploppy’s Monday Tool List.
It’s a bit like walking into a DIY store and being faced with an overwhelming array of options. What is the right tool for the job?
Here’s a sampling of some of the SEO tools that I use for competitive analysis and what I specifically use them for:
- URL Checker, Product Page Checker — to check saturation (# of pages indexed)
- PageRank Lookup, PageRank Search, Webmaster Eyes, SEO-Links — to run bulk checks of PageRank scores, to analyze PageRank flow
- Neat-o — to review anchor text of inbound links
- Link Checker, Yahoo Site Explorer — to check link popularity and review inbound links
- Alexa — to check Alexa Rank and review traffic trends on someone’s site
- What’s That Site Running — to determine what server software a site is running
- Check Server Headers — to see what type of redirect (301 or 302) is being used; to see if a 404 is being served when it’s supposed to be, etc.
- Keyword Ranking Tool — to track positions in the SERPs
From the fundamentals of link building to the nuances of natural linking patterns, virality, and authority.
Thursday Three: Embrace Journaling, Tackle Tardiness, and Explore Our Energetic Echo
Here’s what I found inspirational, challenging, or just downright hilarious this week. What caught your eye? And, remember to check out this week’s great podcast episodes: Scaling a SaaS Company with Jason Morehouse “A crucial factor to business success is to find and take the personal path that works best for you.” — Jason Morehouse […]Read More
Thursday Three: Harrison’s harmony, conquering a blank canvas, & gut health hacks
Here’s what I found inspirational, challenging, or just downright hilarious this week. What caught your eye? And, remember to check out this week’s great podcast episodes: Be a Sales Game Changer with Fred Diamond “True elite sales professionals develop a dedicated mindset, proactive client interaction, and continuous self-preparation. They understand their client’s needs and enable […]Read More
Thursday Three: Rebirth of sleeper trains, 4,000 weeks is a long/short time, and golden age for medicine
Here’s what I found inspirational, challenging, or just downright hilarious this week. What caught your eye? And, remember to check out this week’s great podcast episodes: A Story Worth Retelling with Luke Storey “Aligned values are the cornerstone of successful partnerships, whether in business or life, as they shape our moral code, define our priorities, […]Read More